It’s another exciting week in the performance management world. The space itself is hot, but the financial consolidation segment is on fire.
Fluence, a top-rated North American consolidation and close vendor for the midmarket, has announced the acquisition of European-based XLCubed, a specialist in financial reporting and analysis leveraging Excel. As one of the newer vendors in the consolidation market, but already a key player, Fluence was looking to accelerate its development roadmap and increase its global footprint. This acquisition helps them achieve both goals.
Fluence gains many new customers, an office in the U.K., and an Excel-centric enterprise class financial reporting, analysis, and dashboard solution designed for Finance self-sufficiency, to complement its Excel-centric consolidation and close solution. XLCubed offers many leading edge capabilities that companies are either looking for today, or will be looking for shortly, such as IBCS compliant reporting templates and models, web-based instant and interactive report distribution to any user on any device, governed real-time access to multiple data sources in addition to Fluence including SAP HANA, Oracle Essbase, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM TM1, and Microsoft Power BI. The combined products will deliver a comprehensive and unified Finance-owned consolidation, close and reporting solution for the midmarket and upper midmarket.
This combination is a no-brainer. What’s consolidation without comprehensive financial reporting, and vice versa?
Fluence and its customers:
- Fluence picks up a European office, expert staff, a global partner network, and over 700 additional customers
- Fluence should be able to sell their consolidation solution to a sizeable number of those new customers
- Fluence now is also able to offer a standalone solution for financial, management, and operational reporting that can lead to consolidation and close sales down the road
- Existing Fluence customers gain dramatically enhanced reporting capabilities at least 18 months ahead of schedule (if Fluence had developed it themselves)
XLCubed and its customers:
- XLCubed joins a rapidly growing organization that offers a complementary solution, and the combined companies can reach a greater market than either could alone
- XLCubed customers will continue to see their products enhanced
- XLCubed customers gain access to a feature rich Excel-centric consolidation solution to complement their Excel-centric financial reporting product
Midmarket/Upper Midmarket Buyers of Performance Management solutions:
- By broadening its product set and global presence, along with an increased customer count, Fluence becomes an even more formidable competitor
This is where we usually talk about downsides, but there are no obvious ones. There is minimal product overlap. The common Excel-centric approach will make integration easier. The industry veterans at the helm of Fluence have been involved in many mergers and acquisitions over the years so I have every confidence that they will avoid most of the typical merger pitfalls. We believe this is a good combination for all concerned.
We know its difficult to stay on top of everything that is happening in performance management. It’s important though, to make sure you have the most current information as you embark on your next project. We can help. If you would like to discuss midmarket planning and consolidation solutions, or anything else performance management related, you can reach us here.
Further Reading: Prophix Acquires Sigma Conso, Two New and Noteworthy Vendors, 10 Key Requirements for Next Level Financial Consolidation, Leveraging Financial Consolidation to Manage Through Uncertainty
BPM Partners Global Headquarters
BPM Partners, Inc.
Six Landmark Square
Stamford, CT 06901, USA
Phone: (203) 359-5677
Fax: (203) 359-5877